Original text by code16
In most time the question(s) you’re asking me via blog or twitter is: «how to prepare a fuzzing lab» or «how to perform an analysis of the crash we found». I decided to spent last few days for preparing a small example for you to give you the answer(s) for both of the questions. Below you will find the details. Here we go…
We will start here:
As you can see I started the fuzzer against the application called Free Photo Viewer. As far as I remember I found it here. But first things first…
PREPARING THE LAB:
Depends on what you would like to do (/»fuzz») 😉
In case of webapps or web servers — sometimes I’m using Burp Suite [1, 2]. But for cases similar to the one we have here (FreePhotoViewer) I will recommend you to install:
— clean Windows 7 (I used 32bit)
— Immunity Debugger
— mona.py from Corelan Repository
— HxD (but you can use any hex editor you like)
— target app (in our case — FreePhotoViewer)
— FOE2 — «Failure Observation Engine».
Installation of FOE2 should be easy but remember to read the funky manual anyway! 😉
For example: you will find the place to edit in the source code to get some more detailed results:
As you can see (red frame — cdb_command): here you can put your favourite (Windbg) commands.
I like to add there also: u eip-1; u eip; kb and other similar commands. 😉
I assume that your VM LAB is prepared and FreePhotoViewer is installed. So it’s time to prepare a config for the FOE2 fuzzer.
FUZZING TARGET APP:
Installed (target) app is located in «C:\Program Files\Free Photo Viewer»:
We will need it soon. Foe2 default installation directory is c:\FOE2\. There you will find config, seeds and results:
Let’s copy default config file (foe.yaml) to 01-freephotoviewer.yaml. Next open it and edit like it is presented on the screens below:
As you can see we are changing the name of our ‘fuzzing campaign’. Next (red frame) is to place a full path to the target we want to fuzz. 3rd red frame — I just deleted NUL because we will not use any other argument.
Next thing to check in the config — location of our files. In default FOE will store all files (seeds, results) in C:\FOE2\ directory. Edit the location (path) of your ‘sample’ (seed) file(s):
Next thing nice to check in the config is called ‘Fuzzer options’. We will not discuss it today (to keep it simple;)) but you should definitely try to play the options available:
So config file is ready. Now it’s time to prepare a sample file. 🙂
In c:\foe2\seedfiles\example\ you will find a lot of files to try with FOE2. I like to get 2 or 3 (or 8 ;)) and change it a little bit in HxD. In most cases — for example I will take BMP file — I will:
— leave one original BMP file
— take a copy of it and add (for example a lot of) AAAAAA…AAAA in the end of the file
— copy original file but only header (few first lines in HxD) and then I’m adding «a lot of A’s» 😉
In this case from 1 sample seed file I will have a 3 files:
Example file (roughly;)) changed:
Save the seedfile(s and your config) and run FOE2 in cmd.exe, like this:
3 DAYS LATER:
In usual it should take no longer than few hours to find ‘first crash’. But for example for Outlook[1, 2] or Access it took 2 months on my small laptop to finally crash the application. 😉
Anyway… after let’s say «3 days»… «you found it! There is a crash!» ;] Cool but what to do next?
Of course «depends on the crash». 😉 But for most Windows cases (read: as far as I saw so far) it will be: malformed heap, SEH overflow or Unicode (SEH) overflow. Let’s try to identify «the one» from our target app:
As you can see there are ‘few’ bugs to check… I believe you will have some fun. 😉
Now let’s open our target app in ImmunityDbg. As an argument we will use the path to the poc-file generated by FOE2. We should be somewhere here:
As we can see SEH is malformed, so probably we will have to exploit SEH overflow bug. Cool. 🙂
I used HxD to open the poc file to (hopefully) see if there will be our value from SEH chain:
Great! Next step: change nSEH, right?
So far, so good. 😉 Next I used mona.py to get POP, POP, RET:
Next I restarted the target app and after initial run (F7) I added a breakpoint on the location found with «!mona seh» (ppr), for example:
(After the jump to ppr value asm will change, so don’t worry ;))
This was a time when the ‘tricky part’ started. I was sure it is ‘easy overflow’ and I need to change the ‘poc file’ simply by adding more AAAA letters… Well, nope. ;] If I added new letters — file structure was changed. 😐
So the only way was to create a ‘valid shellcode’ with 39 characters. 🙂
First of all I tried to use some MsgBox shellcodes I found online but almost all of them were ‘bigger than 39characters’, so I failed again.
Next day 😉 I realized that one time during some private talk mzer0 and @M4tisec already told me what can I do to exploit bug(s) like this one.
TL;DR: We will create a small shellcode ;] to:
— put calc.exe in memory
— run it using WinExec
Simple enough? «We gotta try«:
I played a little bit more with the target app to see what shoud I do to manipulate the flow:
As you can see below, the file is not so long so there is a small space to put our shellcode:
I changed 43434343 to poppopret. Next we can see that we can jump to our NOP’s and CCCC-shellcode:
So after a while (and a lot of reading and searching online) I created this nasty shellcode ;P
In 2nd and 3rd PUSH you will find «.exe» and «calc» (see ESP below), next is WinExec function.
Final results you will find on the screen below:
That’s all 😉
I hope now it will be easier to find some new bugs. In case of any questions — feel free to mail me or ping me @twitter. 😉
If you like the post and you would like to donate (or just buy me a coffee;)) — on the top (right) you will find a Paypal button.